Vivek Ramaswamy, a 38-year-old biotech multi-millionaire, is making waves in the political arena as he runs for the presidency of the United States. Despite his lack of previous political experience, Ramaswamy has positioned himself as an outsider who is willing to champion former President Donald Trump’s “America First” agenda with his own personal spin. However, it is his unconventional proposals that have garnered significant attention and controversy. Here are six things Ramaswamy believes:
1. End the H-1B visa program: Ramaswamy wants to “gut” the H-1B visa system, which is used by employers to hire skilled foreign workers in the US. He views the visa as a form of “indentured servitude” and advocates for its replacement with a “meritocratic admission” system.
2. Raise the voting age: Ramaswamy supports raising the voting age to 25 but proposes exceptions for those who meet a “national service requirement” or pass a citizenship test. This proposal aims to revive civic duty in America.
3. Major concessions in Ukraine conflict: In a departure from Western sentiment, Ramaswamy calls for Ukraine to make significant concessions to end the conflict. He believes that a peaceful resolution should include freezing the current lines of control and Russia leaving its military agreement with China.
4. No national abortion ban: Ramaswamy opposes a federal ban on abortion, stating that the federal government should stay out of the issue. However, at the state level, he has supported six-week bans on the procedure.
5. Abolish the FBI: Ramaswamy suggests abolishing federal departments such as the Department of Education, Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Internal Revenue Service, and the FBI. He argues that many of these agencies are redundant and proposes reallocating the FBI’s funding to other departments.
6. Controversial comments about 9/11: Ramaswamy has faced criticism for remarks suggesting that the government lied about the events of 9/11. While he later clarified that he had been misquoted, these comments have raised eyebrows and sparked further scrutiny.
It is important to note that Ramaswamy’s views have generated controversy and sparked debates among commentators. While some may find his outsider perspective refreshing, others view his proposals as radical and potentially detrimental to the country. As the presidential race progresses, it will be interesting to see how these controversial stances shape the public discourse and Ramaswamy’s political trajectory.
– Source article: BBC News
– H-1B visa: A visa program in the United States that allows employers to hire skilled foreign workers.
– “America First” agenda: A slogan used by former President Donald Trump to emphasize prioritizing American interests in policy decisions.