Wed. Oct 4th, 2023
    Gas Leak in Northwest Spokane Leads to Evacuation of Businesses

    Multiple businesses in northwest Spokane were evacuated on [date] due to a gas leak caused by contractors in the area. The Spokane Fire Department (SFD) reported that a large gas line was hit during construction work, resulting in the leak. Fortunately, no gas was found inside the affected building.

    As a precautionary measure, businesses such as Starbucks, Walmart, and Safeway were evacuated while Avista, the local gas company, worked to patch the leak. The evacuation has since been lifted, and the SFD has announced that people are now allowed to return inside.

    Gas leaks can be extremely dangerous, as they pose a risk of fire and explosion. The immediate evacuation of nearby businesses was a necessary step to ensure the safety of employees and customers. By promptly responding to the incident and coordinating with Avista, the SFD was able to resolve the issue and mitigate any potential hazards.

    It is crucial for contractors and construction workers to exercise caution when working near gas lines or underground utilities. Accidental strikes on these pipelines can disrupt gas service, endanger lives, and cause financial losses. Regular inspections of gas lines and proper training for workers can help prevent such incidents from occurring in the future.

    – Spokane Fire Department (SFD)
    – Avista Corporation